Friday, February 1, 2013

Free Choice Reward Week

This has been quite an interesting week!  In one of my earlier blogs, I explained how I use a reward system called "free choice day."  Every week, each class has an opportunity to earn a peace dove for music.  At the end of each quarter, I designate a week for free choice day.  Each class has to earn a certain number of doves to participate (this quarter it was 8 doves).  Each class that earned 8 doves got to participate in free choice, but the classes that did not had regular music class.  I only had 1 class out of 21 that did not earn enough doves! 

Kindergarten - since these students are not quite old enough to understand how my games work, we have movie day instead of free choice.  This quarter we watched "Curious George Leads the Band."  I explained to them that watching movies was a really special thing and that we don't get to do it a lot.  I have 3 expectations -
1)  It is not time to talk, so I should not hear voices.
2)  It is not time to sleep, so I should not see anyone laying down.
3)  It is not time to sit with our friends, so you need to stay in your seat.
I asked each of the classes why it was not a good idea to sit with our friends, and they all said because if they did they would probably talk :)

1st and 2nd Grade - I have 3 choices for these groups.  I always have to explain to the students that it is free choice, not free play, and that it is free choice, not extra recess.  I give the students 3 choices, and they get to choose which one they would like to do-
1)  Music Library - I have 12 baskets full of picture books with a music theme.  I tell them that if they are reading a book, they can enjoy a pillow, but if they do not have a book in their hands, then they may not use the pillows.  I also emphasize that if they are playing or fighting with the pillows, then I will take the pillows away.
2)  Music coloring sheet - I have taken several color by number sheets, scanned them into my computer, erased the numbers and replaced them with music symbols.  I have to explain that they may only work on 1, and that they may only take back with them what they were working on.  In the past, I have had students grab a handful of sheets and take them back to class to work on later or when they get home.
3)  Music Games - A few years ago I bought a set of music dice and printed off some game boards.  I also have 2 copies of Heigh-Ho Cherry-O and I have replaced the spinner with music symbols.  I also have a collection of jigsaw puzzles that the students can work on. 

3rd-5th grade - These students have the same choices as the 1st and 2nd grade students, but since they are older I have a few other things that they can choose from as well -
1)  I have a selection of music word searches that they can work on.  Same rules as the coloring sheets (you can only work on 1).
2)  I have some board games that I have modified to make music games.  I have Sorry, Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land and Don't Break the Ice. 

Things I have noticed about free choice day over the years:
1)  Some classes are very responsible and make great choices, but some classes do not.  Sometimes, it is harder to manage free choice day than it is to manage a regular music class.  And sometimes, I go home exhausted!
2)  Games to not last long in an elementary school.  I already have games that are missing pieces, and some that are falling apart. 
3)  More children would rather color than you would think!  I am continuously surprised at the number of children, especially 4th and 5th graders that would rather work on a coloring sheet than play a game.
4)  No one ever wants to read, and that makes me very sad :(

No comments:

Post a Comment